A salty gravy could completely ruin a curry. Many wonder whether excess salt could be reduced just by adding more water. However, not many know that there are some easy tricks to reduce the excess salt in dishes. This would balance the salty gravies without affecting the flavour of the dish.
1) In the olden days, cleaned coal pieces were added in the gravies to reduce excess salt. Soak the coals in the curry for at least half an hour before removing them.
2) Wrap some boiled rice in a clean piece of cloth and add in the curry. You could also wrap chapathi dough instead of rice.
3) Add small pieces of tomato to reduce the excess salt.
Add more grated coconut if thoran or stir fried vegetables is too salty. You could also add finely chopped shallots.
4) Adding potatoes in the curries would reduce excess salt. Take out the potatoes after ten or fifteen minutes.
5) Fresh coconut milk could make the gravy tastier while reducing salt.
6) Adding some ghee is considered a great idea by many.
Adding apple cider vinegar and salt proportionately to the quantity of the curry can also be helpful.
7) Grated cheese can be added to reduce excess salt in stir fried cauliflower, bitter gourd or lady finger. It reduces salt and adds more flavour.
8) Fresh yoghurt could be added as per taste.
9) Onion or shallots can absorb excess salt. You could take them out of the curry after some time.